Jetal & Ronak's Travel Diary

Saturday, December 17, 2011


Bungee Jumping at Rishikesh, 
18th April 2011

Since long time we wanted to do some adventure activity like Bungee jumping & I came across Bungee Jumping at Rishikesh offered by Jumpin Heights at a travel fair in Mumbai. That day we decided that whenever we plan a trip to nearby area we will definitely include this place. So in April 2011 we decided to add Rishikesh (for Rafting & Bungee jumping) along with our Corbett trip. We had contacted Jumpin Heights by E-mail & came to know that only two activities were offered i.e. Bungee Jumping & Flying fox. The third activity Giant swing was not open, but it seems they have started offering this activity also from November onwards.

After visiting Corbett & two days at the rafting camp (Yet to write a travelogue on both the places) we landed up in Rishikesh on 17th April. A call was enough to book our Bungee Jump for the next day. The adventure zone is located at Mohan Chatti some 15 kms from Laxman Jhula & they have kept buses named as Bungee Coach (Return fare Rs. 200 per person) so that the adventure lovers can reach the place with out any problems. We reached the place (near Laxman Jhula – the side where all Ashrams are located) sharp at 9.30 am the time when bus was suppose to start. The bus started to fill but most of them were staff & manager at Jumpin Heights. The bus started half an hour later & we were the only guests in the bus. Other staff members were also picked up on the way. There is one good thing that almost all the staff is local except the jump masters who are from New Zealand. The bus took around 30 – 45mins to reach our destination. To enter the zone there is entry fee of Rs. 100 per person which needs to be paid irrespective of you are going to jump or not. After reaching we were made to fill up a form (as is the case with most adventure activities) & were weighed so that a cord can be selected according to our weight. After completing the formalities we were ready to jump but first we decided to go for Flying fox since it would have been a much easier & a less scary activity.

Flying Fox
One needs to climb up hill for around 10 - 15mins to reach the starting point of flying fox which is approx 120mtrs high. Once you reach the spot you are harnessed to the wire usually three people at a time (but in our case two of us) & after double checking the safety measures we were ready to go flying fox & were suspended in a flying position. Before all this a trial run (without any person) was conducted to check if no damage has been done to the mechanism during the night & it has not been tampered with. A digital camera was put in front of us to record our dare. This is done in all cases irrespective of whether you want to buy the video DVD or not. It is supposed to be the longest flying fox in Asia (as claimed by Jumpin Heights) at 1km length. As soon as we were released we speeded down at super speed (max being 160kmph – as claimed by Jumpin Heights) with winds gushing past through & in no time we were settled at the lowest point. Retrieval mechanism is very slow & a little boring but you can enjoy the views from up there. You are retrieved back to the same platform from where you started. We went back to the main area discussing how easy (non scary) it was. Watch our flying fox video here. 


Bungee Jump
Now it was turn for the biggest adventure of our life (till now) ‘The Bungee Jump’. A staff member accompanied us to the platform which is around 5mins walk from the main area. There we were asked who was going to jump first & I said I am ready to jump first. So I was going to be the first jumper of the day. We were made to wear harness with double & triple locks. Since I was first I was taken in the main area & made to sit on a stool. Jump master’s  asst. took over & he explained me the safety measures taken & finally he tied bungee cord (according to my weight) to my ankles & then it was the jump master’s turn to check the safety locks & he asked me if I was ready to jump. His advice was that as soon as he shouts 1,2,3 & bungee I should immediately jump, the more time I spend on the platform watching the depth & all, the more I would be scarred, so slowly I started walking to the edge of the platform with baby steps since I was tied at the ankle. There I stood at the edge of the platform with 83 mtrs. of deep gorge beneath me. The Jump master asked me again if I was ready for action & advised me not to look down but to look in front. I did what I was told & the Jump master shouted 1,2,3 bungee & I think before he screamt bungee I screamed bungee myself & dived in front making loud noise as if to let everyone know that I am jumping. Those 30 seconds were the most memorable and will be always treasured for my entire life. Once I jumped & reached till my cord permitted I was pulled back again with a big jerk & then kept swinging till I was quite still mid-air. I saw two men at the ground level signaling the Jump master (may be the height level where I was hanging) & then they started lowering me. The ground level person offered me a stick which I got hold of so that I could be made to sleep on a bed while they got me rid of the bungee cord & harness. The person asked me how I felt & I said I am feeling perfectly alright & they gave me a bottle of water & also tied a badge on my T-shirt which said ‘I have the guts’ written on it. Now it was Jetal’s turn to go for the jump. Initially she hesitated to jump on the first attempt but after a bit of boost talk from the Jump master she managed to jump. Bungee jump needs to be experienced personally because my words can not describe the experience I had in those 30 seconds. Watch my jump here. 



Once you are relived from the bungee cord & the harness you need to climb up the hill for around 10 mins to reach the cafeteria where you can watch your jump. You can then decide if you want to buy the DVD of your jump or not. Everyone wants to have a memory of this big adventure & we also decided to buy this DVD although it was too expensive. Since you are not allowed to take photos or record videos, you have no other option but to buy the DVD. After collecting the DVD & certificates we took their bus back to Rishikesh from where we proceeded to Rajaji National Park for wildlife safari. 



    Do you have the guts !!! 









Labels:

16 Comments:

At December 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nicely written.. u r rite this is the experience of life time.. Looking forward to c u paragliding..

 
At March 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Blogger prashant p mayekar said...

grt experience..i never thought it will start in insia so soon...wht was price ....for bothe i mean FF,bunjee and videos specially...

 
At March 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Blogger indiatravel said...

Thanks for your comments. Prices are also mentioned on their website. Only Bungee is Rs. 2500, Only FF is Rs. 1500 & combo package is Rs. 3500. Now they have started with Giant swing also. For three videos (2 bungee & 1 FF) we paid Rs. 1750. Also I have come to know that they are going to start bungee in Lonavala but that will take another 1 - 2 years to start.

 
At April 3, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Anonymous Mridula said...

Great to read this, what an awesome experience!

Try scuba diving once if you have already not done it. I liked it a lot.

 
At April 3, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Blogger indiatravel said...

Mridula, thanks for your comments. It was truly an awesome experience. We have done scuba diving at Andamans in 2008, though planning to do certificate course this season.

 
At April 8, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Anonymous Anki said...

Wow...Very nice description,I feel like going bungee right away!

 
At April 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

really awesome....

 
At September 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Blogger Shuvra said...

bungee jumping is really awesome...... i haven't done it yet, but i still can feel the adrenaline by reading your description..... life is short and hence we should really take the best out of it in whichever way we can.... after reading your blog i understand that u r a really adventurous and happy couple, and i think that since u have cleared this feat u will soon embarrk on more adventurous ventures like sky diving

 
At September 4, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Blogger indiatravel said...

Shuvra, thanks for your commnets. Bungee Jumping is really awesome. Worth experiencing. Both of us love adventure & keep looking for different adventure options. Skydiving is top on our list but has to be in India, no out of India options for us (by choice).

 
At November 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Blogger Anunoy Samanta said...

Well done dude...
Now it made me inclined towards the jump...
Cheers!
:-)

 
At February 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anubhav Roy said...

Thank you for sharing your bungee experience. Very well written and exciting blog post.
Rishikesh is a perfect destination for adventure lovers, apart from Bungee one can also try rafting in rishikesh.

Anubhav Roy
My Blog

 
At February 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM, Blogger Citec Web Solutions said...

wWas happy to read this article,nice article.!Rafting in Rishikesh

 
At November 20, 2017 at 10:41 PM, Blogger seo company delhi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At November 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Blogger seo company delhi said...

Hill stations are the perfect destination and stop over for almost everyone. It is so because it keeps one away from the hustle bustle of the city and provide peace and calmness. Other than this, hill stations are hub of various fun and exciting activities like air safari, bungee jumping, trekking etc.
To Know More: -http://bunkstay.com/

 
At August 13, 2021 at 3:49 AM, Blogger Ezranking seo company haridwar said...

Rishikesh is a holy place as the starting pointing for chardhams. Its natural beauty is awesome.Rafting and camping in Rishikesh is the most preferred destination today.Amazing site scenes and thrilling adventure sports.
For more information you can visit the site .
camping in rishikesh

 
At November 3, 2021 at 12:53 AM, Anonymous architects in dehradun said...

best architects in Dehradun
architects in dehradun

 

Post a Comment

<< Home